What to bring
Here is a basic check list of practical essentials to bring when you move in apart from your personal kit:-
Bedroom & Bathroom
- Bed linen - 2 sets of sheets, duvet covers & pillow cases per room, so you have 1 set to make up the bed when the other set is being washed & dried
- Furnished properties will have mattress protectors on each bed
- Duvet & pillows
- Towels - 2 sets of bath towels, hand towels & bath mats per person, again for change of towels when being washed and dried.
- Laundry hamper
- Good idea to bring your own first aid kit with plasters, bandages, antiseptic cream etc.
Get together with your flatmates to decide how to equip your kitchen unless you plan to exist on pot noodles for the whole year!
If you are buying new and sharing the cost it’s more economical to buy starter kit sets of crockery, cutlery and pots and pans etc from Argos, Homebase, Ikea or Argos Home. Freshers’ Fairs sell starter kits too.
You can buy or reserve online or in-store and their prices are really reasonable. Many properties will have a kettle, toaster and microwave, so check before buying these.
Look for sets of:-
- Pots, pans (different sizes) + frying pan
- Plates (large and side), bowls
- Cooking utensils - such as fish slice, serving spoons & soup ladle, a set of wooden spoons, tin opener, bottle opener
- Kitchen knives - bread slice, carving knife, small and medium knives for chopping
- Glasses (wine & tumblers etc), mugs
Some items you might need to buy in smaller sets or separately:-
- Wok with lid for stir fries, curries and pasta sauces
- Potato masher
- Vegetable peeler
- Cheese grater
- Plastic chopping boards - It’s a good idea to try to keep one for cutting raw meat on, and another for chopping other foods
- Ovenproof casserole dishes with and without lids
- Serving dish good for pasta bakes etc
- Tea towels
General Supermarket (non-food) shopping
- Bin bags & kitchen bin liners
- Clear recycling bags for excess recycling
- Supply of light bulbs
- Loo rolls & kitchen towel
- Washing up liquid, liquid soap
- J-cloths, pan scrubbers
- Dishwasher tablets + salt and rinse aid (if there’s a dishwasher)
- Washing powder or sachets/liquid
- Cleaning materials for kitchen, bathroom and vinyl/tiled floors
- Aluminium foil & plastic food wrap