Landlord - Frequently Asked Questions
1. How long are your tenancies?
Tenancies run for on average of 12 months
2. What is the void between tenancies?
We allow 10 working days between tenancies in order to thoroughly clean and prepare for the next tenancy.
3. Does the property need to be furnished?
All student accommodation needs to be simply but well furnished, we can help with this.
4. Who pays the council tax?
The tenant is responsible for the council tax; they will be exempt for the period of time that they are full time students.
5. Can I keep the garage for my own storage?
This is not recommended.
6. Can I move in over the summer?
This makes it very difficult to properly prepare the property for the next tenancy and prevents any renewals if a group want to extend for the following year.
7. Do I need an inventory?
Yes, this is essential. We can assist with this.
8. How much security deposit will a tenant pay?
The security deposit is five weeks' rent (or six weeks for tenancies where the annual rent is £50,000 or higher).
9. What do I do with the deposit?
The deposit must be protected. There are 3 different schemes available. Finders Keepers use The Tenancy Dispute Service for our managed properties and the deposits we hold on landlord's behalf.
10. What are the planning regulations?
These changed on 6 April 2010. If you didn't have sharers in your property on that day, you will need to apply for a change of use from C3 to C4. We can help with this.
11. What is an HMO licence and do I need one?
HMO means a House in Multiple Occupation; any property in Oxford with more than 2 households made up of 3 occupiers or more is classified as an HMO. A household is defined as blood related relatives. e.g. 1) a couple and a sharer is an HMO and require a licence 2) 3 + sharers is an HMO and requires a licence.
12. How often do you inspect the property?
We inspect formally twice a year, we also visit for viewing and repair purposes.
13. What are your fees?
Please call us to book an appointment to assess your property.
14. What are the average rents?
Shared property in Oxford ranges from £400 to £700 per person, per calendar month.
15. Where is the best place to buy?
This question is much better answered face to face, please call to make an appointment.
16. Can you help with furnishing my house?
Yes, Decorum Interiors, our furnishing department has a specified student furniture package.
17. Do I have to have an electrical safety certificate?
Yes, it is a legal requirement of having an HMO.
18. How often does the gas need checking?
The law states that any gas appliance needs checking annually.